Developing Place Leaders
Join our valuable half-day masterclass and hear from an international authority on place management and leadership. Delivered regionally, this your chance to work with peers to consider the latest trends and techniques that are shaping your high street.
Developed by Institute of Place Management
Places need skilled leaders to bring about transformational change for our high streets. The High Streets Task Force is inviting councils, business and community leaders, property owners, civic groups, and young people to be part of its new programme, designed to help you improve your place leadership skills and knowledge.
Funded by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities (DLUHC), this new half-day online masterclass has been developed by the Institute of Place Management, building on the latest research about what impacts high streets and how leaders can affect change.
Led by Professor Cathy Parker and Dr Steve Millington, the programme features:
- inspirational speakers from high streets delivering successful transformation
- collaboration with other place leaders to share perspectives get peer support
- interactive diagnostic exercises to reflect on your own leadership
- latest research on trends shaping towns and cities.
Find your regional 'Developing Place Leaders' session
The half-day programme is delivered online and in every Local Economic Partnership (LEP) region around England. You don't need to be part of the LEP or even to have worked with them previously, this is just a way to group regional place leaders to ensure attendees can share learning on some common challenges.
Register now to secure your place
- Thames Valley Berkshire - 8th Feb 2022
- D2N2 (Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire) - 8th Mar 2022
- Dorset - 12th Apr 2022
- Buckinghamshire - 26th Apr 2022
- Dorset - 10th May 2022
- Swindon & Wiltshire - 24th May 2022
- Full schedule - see table below (If you're region hasn't been scheduled yet, you can still register and we'll let you know as soon as a is date confirmed)
Register now to secure your place
|LEP Region||Date||LEP Region||Date|
|Black Country||TBC||Leeds City Region||27 Sep 2022|
|Buckinghamshire||8 Mar 2022||Leicester & Leicestershire||TBC|
|Cambridgeshire & Peterborough||TBC||Liverpool City Region||TBC|
|Cheshire & Warrington||TBC||London||TBC|
|Coast to Capital||TBC||New Anglia||TBC|
|Cornwall and Isles of Scilly||TBC||North East||TBC|
|Coventry and Warwickshire||TBC||Oxfordshire||12 Apr 2022|
|Cumbria||TBC||Sheffield City Region||13 Sep 2022|
|Derby, Derbyshire, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire||12 Jul 2022||Solent||TBC|
|Dorset||10 May 2022||South East||TBC|
|Enterprise M3||TBC||South East Midlands||26 Apr 2022|
|GFirst||8 Nov 2022||South West (Heart of the)||28 Jun 2022|
|Greater Birmingham & Solihull||6 Dec 2022||Stoke-on-Trent and Staffordshire||26 Jul 2022|
|Greater Lincolnshire||TBC||Swindon and Wiltshire||24 May 2022|
|Greater Manchester||TBC||Tees Valley||TBC|
|Heart of the South West||TBC||Thames Valley Berkshire||8 Feb 2022|
|Hull & East Yorkshire||25 Oct 2022||West of England||14 Jun 2022|
|Lancashire||TBC||Worcestershire||22 Nov 2022|
|York & North Yorkshire||11 Oct 2022|
Over a 3-hour online workshop and via offline learning materials, the following key themes will be considered by all delegates:
- Setting the context for place leadership in your region
- Presentations on place leadership from leading practitioners with different perspectives on town and city transformation
- Enablers and blockers – conditions for and barriers to vital and viable places
- Strategies and frameworks for place transformation
- Focus on place leadership skills and capacity
- Supporting Task Force resources and dashboards.
Register now for your regional session
Who should attend?
The programme is open to all that play a role in place leadership. This could be any of the following:
- Local authorities (all levels)
- Local councillors
- Business owners/managers
- Chamber of Commerce
- Community groups
- Local services such as libraries, pharmacies, education, religious groups etc.
- Business Improvement Districts
- Destination Management Organisations
- Anyone with a strong role of interest in the local area